Today I want to talk about cute bike helmets because I realize that more and more people are choosing to get around on their bikes during the current global health crisis. Before we look at the best fashionable bike helmets that are available today, it’s worthwhile to take a moment to look at cycling during Coronavirus, and why it’s going to remain long after the epidemic is under control.
In a recent news article, bicycles and bicycle gear are among 6 things that are topping online sales. There are two reasons for this.
The first is that many people are determined to get some daily exercise while keeping away from potential sources of infection. A bike is great for that because it provides for social distancing. When you get on your bike and head out for an hour or two you don’t come into contact with others, and you get a full-body workout.
The other reason why so many are buying bikes is that they acknowledge that going forward, the way we commute is going to change. After the Coronavirus pandemic is over, after we have found a vaccine that gives us immunity, we will remain acutely aware of the way pandemics are spread.
We now have a good understanding of what being in close quarters with others can do, and where are we in close quarters more than in transport systems?
Those who daily commute on bicycles will choose to make it a more frequent mode of transportation because it keeps us safe from the next similar pandemic. Those who don’t own bicycles will buy them because they are a great way to get around without coming into contact with others.
If you are reading this it’s likely you already own a bike or have just bought one and plan to use it as much as possible. While this post is about cute bike helmets, a bike helmet should be more than cute.
Benefits of Wearing Bike Helmets
The main purpose of a bike helmet is to keep you safe as you cycle. In bike accidents, head injuries are very common, and unfortunately, they tend to be worse than any other kind of injury you would suffer from falling or being thrown off your bike.
In countries where there are compulsory helmet laws, there are 48% leass head and brain injuries among cyclists of all ages. Also, the risk of brain injury in the event of an accident is reduced by 88%.
There are other benefits to wearing bike helmets:
- You are more visible to motorists. Most stylish bike helmets are made with visibility in mind, which goes a long way to making you safer on the road.
- Helmets protect you against bad weather.
- They give you a general sense of safety and well-being when you are cycling, which can help you become a better cyclist faster.
Cute Bike Helmets for Women and Girls
1. Thousand Adult Anti-Theft Guarantee Bike Helmet (Cool Bike Helmet)
These helmets are designed for all kinds of riding. People love them because not only are they highly secure, they come in a retro look. Remember bike helmets of the 1950s and 1960s? That’s how they look, but don’t let the simplicity fool you. Thousand helmets are designed for style, safety and convenience.
Each Thousand bike helmet is made according to the latest European and North American safety standards. They come in 3 sizes, small, medium and large, and large (check below to see how to fit a bike helmet).
They are designed for both men and women. If you love simplicity, this is the ultimate stylish bike helmet.
- Dial-fit system to make sure that your helmet fits snugly on your head. You can adjust it as desired.
- Air vents – you will not get hot inside this helmet as it comes with sleek vents to keep cool air moving around your head as you cycle.
- Vegan leather straps – we are all doing our bit for the environment and Thousand helmets haven’t been left behind. The leather straps are made of tough, eco-friendly material.
- Magnetic buckle – you can lock your helmet into place with just one hand. A strong magnet ensures that it stays on even if you fall off your bike.
- Secret Poplock – this is one of the coolest features of this helmet. A hidden hole behind your logo allows you to lock your helmet onto your bike. The company guarantees you that if you lock your helmet and it’s stolen they’ll replace it for free.
What’s not to like?
There is an occasional complaint that this helmet really isn’t for guys…unless they are nerdy or have ponytails. Some men feel that it’s a little too feminine.
My small brother owns one, and he feels comfortable with it. I guess it depends on how macho you want to look when you are out cycling.
If you are after a cool bike helmet that’s designed to keep you safe, this is definitely a good choice.
Read More: Thousand Helmet Review
Recommended read: Best Bike helmet.
Bern is a 15-year-old company that specializes in helmets for bikes, snow, water and skates. The Watts helmet is their blue-collar special. Designed with a baseball hat visor, it’s suitable for all weather, and can be used for riding on all kinds of terrain.
This helmet protects your whole head. A sun visor ensures that your face is safe from harmful rays as you ride, and the back has superior skull protection that reaches your nape. It fits comfortably on the head, and you can adjust it accordingly.
Whether you use your bike for commuting to work, going out on weekends, or just to get around in the neighborhood the Watts helmet will keep you safe at all times.
It meets all US and European safety standards for bike safety helmets. If you want to see just how good this helmet is, read user reviews on Amazon from cyclists who have been involved in accidents while wearing a Watts helmet. Many get multiple body injuries but their heads stay safe within the helmet.
- It has a moisture-controlling lining for those who are worried about sweating inside their bike helmets.
- It comes with a ZipMold warm and cold weather liner. Attach the cold weather liner and use this helmet for skiing.
- You can buy a PDW bike light that easily attaches to the helmet for cycling at night and in bad weather.
- A Crank Fit dial-adjustable system allows you to achieve the most comfortable fit.
- If you live in very cold weather where it snows often there’s a winter version of the Watts helmet designed for exactly those conditions. It comes with ear muffs to keep your head snug as you ride.
What’s not to like?
The only problem with this helmet is that it doesn’t have air vents, so you may get a little hot, especially if you cycle for long distances. However, remember it comes with an absorbent liner, so sweat isn’t a problem. Also, the helmet is made of materials that keep you cool as you ride.
*You might like Best Entry Level Women's Road Bike reviews
When it comes to cute bike helmets this brand is a winner. The one thing I love about Nutcase helmets is that they come in so many different designs. There are special designs to suit both sexes, different tastes and different ages. There is a Little Nutty Collection for young kids and a special Baby Nutty collection.
The company has dealers all over the United States, and for everyone else, the helmets are available to order on Amazon. They also sell bells, visors, insulation ear pads and a few other accessories.
Nutcase helmets are a good way to teach kids helmet discipline. Because they come in so many cool designs kids love them and are happy to don them every time they get on their bikes.
The helmets are made with the highest safety standards, are light and suitable for all kinds of terrain and weather.
Read More: Nutcase Helmet Review
- Protective EPS foam disperses energy upon impact keeping your head safe. See a few Amazon reviews about people who have been in serious scrapes but kept their heads safe with this helmet.
- A Dial Fit system ensures this helmet is a snug fit. It comes with 3 sets of foam pads, so choose the one that fits you best.
- The magnetic snap makes these helmets easy to wear even when you have gloves on. The snap itself is lined and comfy on your chin.
- A removable visor with 360-degree reflectivity adds to your choices when using this helmet.
- You can lock the helmet onto your bike.
What’s not to like?
The only complaint I’ve heard from some people who’ve tried Nutcase helmets is the size – they say that it didn’t quite fit. When you are buying a bike online you should make sure that you understand how to get the measurements right (there is a specific method that I will explain at the end of this post).
*You might like Women's Bike Size Chart
If style and comfort are what you are going for, the Gotham certified bike helmet is a great choice. Gotham helmets are made by Triple Eight, a company that uses real riders from around the world to collect cycling data and information so that they can make the best products.
Their helmets are so good that they regularly equip riders (including children) in some of the biggest bicycle races in America and Europe.
While many of their helmets are made specifically for skating, they have an impressive range designed for cycling. The Triple Eight Gotham Dual comes in a variety of colors, and although made for cyclists, is also suitable for skating and roller derby.
- MIPS technology – this is an additional protective layer in case of an accident.
- The helmet is made in compliance with US CPSC bike safety standards.
- A conehead liner construction absorbs energy and spreads it upon impact.
- It comes with a pair of SweatSaver Pads to absorb sweat as you ride.
- The chin strap has a side release buckle for easy clip-on and removal. It can be adjusted for a custom fit.
- The grooved EPS provides airflow keeps your head cool as you ride.
- It’s great for cold weather because of all the extra foam padding.
What’s not to like?
There is a twist tension adjustment knob at the back of the helmet that can rub on the back of your neck if you are riding for long distances.
Also, because the air holes aren’t very big some people experience discomfort in hot weather.
I love all things Schwinn, and this bike helmet is one of the best I’ve ever used. Looking at the design, you may think that it doesn’t fit in a post for fashionable bike helmets for girls, but I decided to include it because it is one of the safest in the market.
It is a number one bestseller in adult bike helmets and comes with great features. This helmet can be used by teenagers and adults, and the fit can be customized to fit your head. A strap at the nape ensures that it sits snugly once it’s on, and it comes with plenty of ventilation holes.
- It is made of a 3-piece micro-shell and is therefore lightweight and perfect for long rides.
- You get a whopping 20 air vents on this helmet which makes it the perfect choice for hot weather riding.
- The Dial Fit adjustable system makes it easy to wear and remove.
- A visor keeps you safe from the sun as you ride.
- The best thing about this helmet is how much it costs. The best bike helmets cost between $50 and $100. The Schwinn Thrasher bike helmet goes for around $20, and it is as safe as any helmet available in the market today.
- It comes in a variety of colors and can be worn by both men and women.
What’s not to like?
The only complaint I have seen about this helmet is that it isn’t as feminine as some ladies would like. If you want to look girly this may bother you, but don’t forget that this helmet comes in many colors and designs (including coral, child, pink and purple, pink and white) which give it a feminine touch.
This is another number one best-seller biking helmet in retro style. The awesome finish makes it one of the most stylish bike helmets around, and it comes packed with safety features to ensure your head is safe in the event of an accident.
The helmet is lightweight and comes in many different colors including matte wood grain, matte burnt orange, matte slate, matte white and matte whisper pink.
You can get it in small, medium and large, and it’s safe for all kinds of riding. Whether you are looking for a helmet for commuting to work each day, are a sports enthusiast or a casual cyclist this helmet is a perfect choice. It stays cool and airy as you ride thanks to the top and side vents. It comes with 2 sets of inner pads and can be adjusted to fit different-size heads.
- Made in accordance with US CPSC requirements for ultimate safety.
- 8 vents ensure good airflow, and your head never gets hot even in hot weather.
- Surround EPS foam absorbs and spreads energy on impact to keep your head safe.
- A DEWCollector padding on the inside acts as a wick and absorbs sweat as you ride, and kills off bad odors and bacteria.
- An easy-to-adjust strap makes fitting easy.
What’s not to like?
The only problem with this helmet is that it doesn’t come with a visor. Some people also feel that it’s a little bulky.
How to Measure Helmet Size
One of the most common complaints you’ll see among those who buy helmets online is that they got one that was too big or fit too snugly. It’s important to make sure you get helmet size correct, so here’s a brief guide for how to find out what your size is:
- All you need is a soft measuring tape. Place it on your forehead, about an inch above your eyebrows and wrap it around your head. This is the widest part of your head, and measuring it correctly will determine whether the helmet you choose fits properly or feels a little too snug.
- Keeping the measuring tape level, take the measurement of the circumference of your head.
- Once you have the circumference you can use the following table to determine what helmet size will be best for you:
|Head Circumference||47-51 cm||51 – 55 cm||55 – 59 cm||59 – 63 cm||61 – 65 cm|
|Helmet Size||Extra Small||Small||Medium||Large||Extra Large|
Factors to Consider When Buying a Stylish Bike Helmet
There are numerous bike helmet brands and bike helmet designs. Whether you are going for chic bike helmets, bike helmets for girls and boys, bike helmets for men or bike helmets for toddlers, there are certain factors you should keep in mind if you want to choose a helmet that will protect your head, face and brain if you are in an accident:
- Check how safe the helmet is. Some helmets use special technology to spread energy upon impact, and these are the best. The best impact technology for bike helmets is SPIN and MIPS.
- Make sure that the helmet has removable padding. The most common reason cyclists throw away helmets is that over time they become too stinky to wear. If the padding is removable it can be washed.
- Ventilation is a big deal in helmets. For those who live in hot places, or cycle in summer, you need helmets with at least 4 or 6 sizeable ventilation holes. Those in colder weather may not need helmets with ventilation holes. You may instead want to choose a helmet that comes fitted with earmuffs.
- Weight matters if you are buying a helmet for a child or for competing.
- Make sure to get a bike helmet with a chin-strap that’s easy to clip and unclip. Magnetic ones are best.
- You should not buy a bike helmet if it doesn’t have a reflective strip.
- Visors are also very important as they keep the sun and wind out of your face as you ride.
- Check that the helmet has a durable carapace. This is the hard outer shell that protects the inner lining.
When Should You Replace a Bike Helmet?
You should replace your bike helmet if:
- You have been involved in a crash, even if your head wasn’t injured.
- You drop it on the ground. The protective padding gets compromised on impact.
- The helmet has a crack.
- The inside padding starts to shred or fall apart.
- You have had it for more than 5 years, even if it looks fine.
- If there is new and better bike helmet safety technology – you can never be too safe.
Conclusion – Cool Bike Helmet
Cute bike helmets for girls may be all the rave right now, but there is more to think about if you want to stay safe every time you get on your bike.
I have discussed several of the best bike helmets in this post. I chose them for their features, and also because they retail at a good price.
There are other brands that are excellent but aren’t discussed here. Feel free to check them out, and if you find something particularly good, share and I will write about it and let other cycling enthusiasts know.